With its panoramic position on the Valle del Sacco, this small medieval village of Arnara played an important military role in the complex defensive system of feudal families that fought over the territory of lower Lazio. Its name would seem inspired by the sandstone hill on which it stands.
The originally Medieval village developed around the 9th-century castle, built on the remains of a Lombard Tower constructed by King Astolfo, to control and combat the papal troops.
A fiefdom of the Counts of Ceccano until 1450, Arnara then passed to the Colonna, who owned it until feudal properties in Italy were abolished. The manor, which owes its current appearance to numerous alterations over the years, still retains its towers and the fortified entrances of the original building.
The village has some churches and a sanctuary worth noting.
Its good geographical position and the quality of the land make Arnara an area dedicated to agriculture with numerous cultivations of native grapevines such as Maturano and Pamparano, which together with the Passerina del Frusinate IGT are the origins of the historic white wine from the Ciociaria territory.