Overlooking the Valle del Tevere with the rows of poplars, is Bassano in Teverina and its evocative medieval village with a herringbone layout on the ridge of the hill.
It preserves an unusual defensive tower, with an 18th-century maiolica clock painted by hand that hides, surprisingly, the 11th-century Romanesque bell tower of the Church of Santa Maria dei Lumi. There are stairs inside, but also a lift, and the spectacle is guaranteed: mullioned windows and three-lights in the well-preserved bell tower, and the steps lit by a multiplying set of mirrors positioned against the walls of the tower. At the top is a 360° panoramic view. The Old Fountain, built in 1576 by Cardinal Madruzzo, the church dell’Immacolata Concezione and the Church of the Madonna della Quercia, built between 1674 and 1678 to place a tile with the image of the Madonna and Child, completing the walk in the centre of Bassano.
Not far away, near the Tiber, is the Lake of Vadimone. Pliny the Elder has already described its floating islands, accumulations of grasses and mineral deposits of sulphurous waters. In 306 BC, it was the site where the Romans defeated the Etruscans, causing the decline of their power.
The ancient Via Amerina traverses the territory, offering pilgrims and tourists a wealth of great charm: from the “tagliate falische”, paths cut deep into the ground, to the early Christian catacombs, medieval castles and Cistercian monasteries.
On November 25, 1943, a German train loaded with ammunition exploded in the Bassano station and destroyed the ancient village. It was then rebuilt upstream of the old one.
Do not miss the representation of the Living Nativity at the time of St. Francis and the patronal feast of Saints Fidenzio and Terenzio on September 27.
Typical local products include excellent and fine DOC and IGT wines as well the maritozzi pastries with sultanas.