Indicated in the Town Plan of 1909, in a large area named Prati della Farnesina, far from the historical centre, is a green area generically destined for the public. In this space, Renato Ricci, founder and president of the O.N.B. (Opera Nazionale Balilla) an organization that aimed at educating young people in Fascism and its doctrine also through sports, decided to design, together with the architect Enrico Del Debbio, the Academy with an adjoining stadium for athletics and gymnastics: the Stadio dei Marmi.
This is how the Complex of the Foro Italico was born. Over the course of the following years, such designers and architects as Luigi Moretti also made their contribution. The Foro Mussolini, whose name over time became Foro Italico, was not built as a unitary and complete project; over the years, other important buildings were designed as places to host and practice a variety of sports.
The architect Moretti designed the extraordinary House of Fencing, close to the hill of Monte Mario. Then came the Olympic Stadium, the Tennis Stadium, the pools, both indoor and outdoor, and the raising of the great obelisk of Mussolini placed at the main entrance of the complex, in front of the Ponte Duca D’Aosta. The Foro Italico Complex, over the years, has become an integral part of the urban fabric of Rome, located between the Della Vittoria district and the Farnesina area, in Vigna Clara and Cassia on the right bank of the Tiber River.
Over the years, the original sports facilities have almost all undergone major renovation work and have hosted the most important sports events such as International Tennis matches.