The journey to explore the nature in this area begins with the historical valley floors, woods and mountains in a “secular” journey, an exciting trail that goes from Rome to l’Aquila, a tourism aimed at great experiences, and promoting the protection and enhancement of the cultural and environmental heritage.
430 exciting kilometres of trails divided into a total of 25 stages passing through 42 Municipalities. Walking along the Central Apennines that connect Lazio (Rome) and Abruzzo (L’Aquila) through four Regional Parks: the ancient Appian Way, the Castelli Romani, the Simbruini Mountains and the Lucretili Mountains, two Regional Nature Reserves, Monte Navegna e Cervia and that of the Duchessa Mountains, and finally the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga.
The Nature Trail through the Parks was designed not only for expert hikers, but for all those who want to regenerate both body and soul. The very act of walking brings self awareness of the body and at the same time helps focus attention on the surrounding world.
The trails can be walked in individual single stages or hiked for two or more days thanks to the possibility of reaching most of the trails’ access points by public transport.
The accommodation identified along the route will be equipped with coordinated items, including promotional materials, the map of the route and the Cammino Naturale dei Parchi stamp.
The maintenance of the route will be ensured by the presence of the Protected Areas involved, which, also in collaboration with CAI Lazio, will guarantee the viability of the Trail over time.
Stages of the Nature Trail through the Parks
First Week of the Trail 6 days of hiking
1) PIAZZA PORTA CAPENA CASTEL GANDOLFO 22.9 KM
2) CASTEL GANDOLFO ROCCA PRIORA 23.5 KM
3) ROCCA PRIORA PALESTRINA 15.6 KM
4) PALESTRINA GUADAGNOLO 18.1 KM
5) GUADAGNOLO SUBIACO 24.6 KM
6) SUBIACO MONTE LIVATA 11.0 KM
Second Week of the Trail 7 days of hiking
7) LIVATA CAMERATA NUOVA 16.7 KM
8) CAMERATA NUOVA CINETO ROMANO 15.3 KM
9) CINETO ROMANO ORVINIO 13.0 KM
10) ORVINIO CASTEL DI TORA 15.9 KM
11) CASTEL DI TORA MARCETELLI 14.2 KM
12) MARCETELLI PESCOROCCHIANO 18.6 KM
13) PESCOROCCHIANO CORVARO 17.8 KM
Third Week of the Trail 6 days of hiking
14) CORVARO CASTIGLIONE 15.5 KM
15) CASTIGLIONE RASCINO 14.5 KM
16) RASCINO ANTRODOCO 19.3 KM
17) ANTRODOCO POSTA 16.8 KM
18) POSTA CITTAREALE 15.8 KM
19) CITTAREALE ACCUMOLI 26.2 KM
Fourth Week of the Trail 6 days of hiking
20) ACCUMOLI AMATRICE 15.3 KM
21) AMATRICE CAMPOTOSTO 17.7 KM
22) CAMPOTOSTO CAMPOTOSTO 11.9 KM
23) CAMPOTOSTO RIFUGIO FIORETTI 18.3 KM
24) RIF. FIORETTI SAN PIETRO DELLO JENCA 16.7 KM
25) S. PIETRO DELLO JENCA L’AQUILA 15.0 KM
Total distance of the Trail 430 Km
For more information: Cammino Naturale dei Parchi